The preschool at Sophia Academy is directed and taught by Cheryl Johnston, who has over thirty years' experience as an educator and over ten years' experience as a preschool director.
The preschool is a five-day program for 3/4 and 4/5 year olds. Preschool hours are 8:15 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. (preschoolers with siblings at Sophia Academy may be dropped off at regular school start time, 8:00 a.m.). After-school enrichment is available until 3:15pm.
The classroom environment is be print-rich and "center"-based so that children can extend their individual skills and expand their learning and understanding of their environment and the people in their world. Student/teacher ratio is a maximum of 8 per class.
Some of the materials and activities used in the classroom will include:
- Manipulatives for developing fine motor skills
- Hand Writing Without Tears
- Phonemic Awareness in Young Children
- Prescriptive Teaching Phonics
- Daily sensory activities
- Child-driven art activities and teacher-guided art projects
- Dramatic play
- Block play for developing pre-math skills